Just…REALLY??? A Buzzfeed Bikini Bridge post (donnotlink)? This one is a two-fer though. Here are some eating disorder stats from the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders:
• 47% of girls in 5th-12th grade reported wanting to lose weight because of magazine pictures.
• 25% of college-aged women engage in bingeing and purging as a weight-management technique
• 69% of girls in 5th-12th grade reported that magazine pictures influenced their idea of a perfect body shape.
• 42% of 1st-3rd grade girls want to be thinner
• 81% of 10 year olds are afraid of being fat
• Anorexia is the third most common chronic illness among adolescent girls
A huge percentage of girls in the US are literally thinking about how inadequate their bodies are all day, every day. According to the ANAD, 50% of people with eating disorders (85-90% girls and women) meet the criteria for depression.
Bikini Bridges aren’t unhealthy, they are sexy. More importantly, they are the product of a HEALTHY lifestyle.